Excavation permit

Anyone wishing to excavate a road, including the pavement, cycle path, parking lane or hard shoulder etc. (private) is using it beyond the scope of public use. A special use permit 'excavation permit' must be applied for. The application is the same for excavations on supply and disposal lines.

Excavations e.g. for the purpose of:

  • Head hole/socket pit,
  • House connection,
  • Longitudinal excavation of public supply and disposal lines,
  • Penetration,
  • Masonry drainage,
  • Laying of a private pipe



A written'Application for an excavation permit' (form) must be submitted well in advance (usually 14 days). The application must be accompanied by a detailed site plan.

Concession agreements generally apply to work in connection with the laying, renewal or repair of public supply and disposal lines. Depending on the scope, a general approval procedure usually has to be carried out first in order to coordinate the need for co-laying with other utility providers and to grant route approval after involving the public interest bodies (TÖB). An excavation permit must then be applied for.

Private excavations

Private excavations, e.g. to dry masonry, work on the house drainage system, renewal of property walls or erection of structures directly on the property boundary, etc. are special uses and therefore subject to a charge.
An'application for an excavation permit' must be submitted for this purpose. In addition to the company carrying out the work (specialist company), the period and type of use are specified. This is also referred to as cost assessment.


All excavation work in or directly adjacent to the public road area may only be carried out by specialist companies, as the generally recognized rules of construction and technology must be taken into account, particularly for backfilling, compaction and sealing. As a rule, only specialist companies can guarantee this.

Road administration

Löbstedter Straße 68
07749 Jena